Redhat Fedora

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Wed Sep 24 17:15:49 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:37:45AM +0200, John Hearns wrote:

> As most of us know, Redhat announced that they are pursuing a new
> community led development model for future Redhat 'consumer' releases.
> I'm sure I'm not the only one who was wondering what that meant for the
> direction of cluster computing.

It's an interesting question. RedHat's new advice on the matter is
"buy a copy of Advanced Workstation for every cluster node." They are
also changing how they do updates to the "consumer" OS; for example, I
pointed out that xpdf was miscompiled without all the font support in
RH 9, but RH did not release a fix, they closed the bug report with
"fixed in RH 10."

I suspect that we'll see:

More use of hobbist distros like Debian
People putting together freely-copyable ISOs for RedHat AW and AS
More interest in Mandrake's EU-supported cluster distro

The first two will be driven by the general user community, not the
cluster people; "we" (the cluster community) tend to not do things
like build our own distros, nor are "we" willing to pay enough for
vendors (like Scyld) to build cluster distros.

> And it supports YUM and apt-get, which can only be a good thing.

That's a good thing -- much easier than looking around at ftp mirrors
for updates.

-- greg