more cashing in on SCO/Linux FUD?

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 24 11:34:43 EDT 2003

I've been looking at other potential operating systems for embedded
clusters, and QNX is one of the options.  I just received some
(quasi-solicted) commercial email from them including the following
interesting paragraph:

<quote>
In light of recent market developments around IP ownership,
embedded systems manufacturers are researching OS alternatives
to Linux. Developers and technical managers need to determine
how software projects implemented in Linux might be transferred
to other OSs - what portion of the original code can be preserved,
whether similar functionality can be implemented, and how
migration can be achieved.

Join QNX Software Systems on September 29 for a technical web
seminar, "Implementing Device Drivers - Migrating from Linux to
a Microkernel OS," where David Donohoe, senior software developer,
QNX Software Systems, will demonstrate how an existing Linux-
developed driver can be migrated to the QNX(r) Neutrino(r) RTOS,
preserving up to 80 per cent of the original software code
development.
</quote>

While I think it's a fine thing that QNX is providing alternate solutions
for hard-real-time apps, and that they're helping folks understand the
difference between Linux and QNX drivers, I find the first statement a bit
offensive.

Jim Lux