A question of OS!!

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Sep 24 09:24:50 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 16:28, Sarat C Maruvada wrote:
> Hi,I am planning on installing a 32 node beowulf cluster for high
> performance bio-informatics applications. As a OS I was planning on
> installing Red Hat Linux 9.0.But I had heard from somebody that SuSe Linux
> has advantage in parallel computations. Having no hands-on experience in

I have not heard this.  If anyone has, could they provide references?

> SuSe Linux, I have no idea how to verify this or do a comparision. What do
> you advice as the OS for the cluster? And how to determine this,as there
> are a bunch of unix OSes out there.Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Sarat.

You have options.  Cluster distributions (where they do lots of the hard
work for you), or "normal" distributions, where you have to do the hard
work.

You have the cluster distributions. lcic.org has a list.  I have a short
list (with links) of them on http://scalableinformatics.com/rocks/, if
you search down in the page for Cluster Distributions.

You have normal distributions (Redhat/Fedora, Suse, Knoppix, Gentoo,
Debian, etc.)  Most will require significant additional work.
ClusterKnoppix may alleviate some of this.

I generally advise matching the distribution to your level of
skill/interest in maintaining a distribution/cluster.  The cluster
distributions handle lots of the pain for you, though some have
odd/poorly integrated management philosophies, others have great ideas
with poor implementations.  Some are good.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com