A question of OS!!

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Sep 24 02:45:11 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Sarat C Maruvada wrote:

> Hi,I am planning on installing a 32 node beowulf cluster for high
> performance bio-informatics applications. As a OS I was planning on
I think this is an important question we should discuss - in the light
of the Fedora project with Redhat.

I've used both SuSE and Redhat, and like both.
In fact, we use SuSE on Opterons, as SuSE were there first with
a complete distro, which is very good.

I fail to see though why SuSE would have an advantage in parallel
computations.
Maybe your colleague was trying distros with wildly different
kernel versions?

In fact, this brings up my pet peeve.
As someone else has said in this thread - Linux is Linux.
IMHO, we should refer to Linux distributions. The OS itself
is Linux (or GNU/Linux).