rsh

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Sep 23 22:03:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> quite a few tasks.  Periodically I measure and post the numbers but can
> never remember what they are the next time this issue rolls around.

time for i in `seq 1 10` ; do rsh venturi4 echo ; done
real    0m0.320s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.050s

time for i in `seq 1 10` ; do ssh venturi4 echo ; done
real    0m4.014s
user    0m0.820s
sys     0m0.030s

About one order of magnitude slower, and a great deal more cpu time.

But that's not the problem I have with ssh vs rsh, it's copying large files.

Just last week I needed to copy 65GB of data from an ext3 formatted IDE
harddrive someone brought in.  The only linux system that I could bring down
to stick the drive in was my VIA-C3 based thin-client.  Using scp to copy the
files would have taken all day.  If I could just turn off the stream
encryption when I don't need it, everything would be fine.  Too bad the
security-nazis removed that option.