Distributing makes across the cluster

Daniel Kidger Daniel.Kidger at quadrics.com
Tue Sep 23 14:12:39 EDT 2003

I have made good success with just using the standard 'make -j' but
replacing where you have something like 'CC=gcc' with 'CC="prun -n1 gcc"' in
the makefile.
(change above for your favourite compiler and/or method of launching a
binary onto your cluster).

As ever the caveats of doing software builds in parallel is that date stamps
are always suspect and  'make' can sometimes take the wrong route :-(

Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505