Ramdisk Size

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 22 18:32:04 EDT 2003

>>  If you are happy with the speed improvement of using a ram disk
>>to store the database, you might want to consider squashfs
>>

>If he's doing things like gene comparisons, the work of uncompressing
>the database would be a huge performance loss.

That was what I was wondering. If he's used to speed X running his
DB on a disk, then moving to a ram disk may get him speed Y. If
using squashfs reduces his speed to Z and Z > X, then it's still a
win for him. However, if he gets used to speed Z and can afford the
memory space, then skip squashfs. (flowchart anyone?).

Jeff