Ramdisk Size

Eric R Johnson bioinformaticist at mn.rr.com
Mon Sep 22 02:04:11 EDT 2003

I would like to create a large ramdisk to keep a database which will be
searched often, but not changed.
The only thing I currently know how to do to create a ramdisk is:
mke2fs /dev/ram0
mount /dev/ram0 /tmp/ramdisk0

The only problem is that this creates a 4MB ramdisk, and I would like
something on the order of 1GB.

I tried running menuconfig and changing the default ramdisk size to 1GB,
making the kernel, and rebooting.  Now when I run menuconfig, it shows
the ramdisk size as 1GB, but when I execute the mke2fs /dev/ram0, it
still only creates a 4MB ramdisk.

Thanks,
Eric