Cluster distributions?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Sep 21 16:17:17 EDT 2003

Anand Vaidya wrote:

>I was amazed to read that one needs to *reinstall* all nodes just to apply one
>ssh update. Isn't that very wasteful? Then what happens to the custom ssh
>keys etc?

You can simply place the RPM in a shared location and

    cluster-fork "rpm -Fvh /path/to/new-ssh-binary.rpm ;
/etc/init.d/sshd restart"

You are not forced to use the re-install method, though it is on by
default.  Turning it off is relatively simple:

    cluster-fork "/etc/init.d/rocks-grub stop; /sbin/chkconfig --level
2345 rocks-grub off"

Or you can remove it from the node build tree (instructions in the
documentation).

As for new ssh keys, I found that I simply have to clear out the
~/.ssh/known_hosts.  It is annoying to have to do this for all users
though.  I typically turn off the automatic re-install and default
re-install for my customers.

Joe