Virginia Tech PowerMac G5 Cluster Photos

Dean Johnson dtj at
Sun Sep 21 00:16:04 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 19:25, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:10:12PM -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> >     * 2+ million BTUs of cooling capacity using Liebert's extremedensity
> >       cooling (rack mounted cooling via liquid refrigerant)
> >           o traditional methods [fans] would have produced windspeeds of
> >             60+ MPH
> This is kind of weird, given that their energy density isn't that
> high: 2 cpus in 4U. I've seen machine rooms which have 8 times the
> energy density.

Their energy density is trivial. I can't recall how many watts they are,
but my guess is much less than even old celerons. I wouldn't be
surprised if each of those whole machines sucks less juice than a single
itanic cpu. Wasn't the G4 design spec something like 24 watts.