opteron problems

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Sat Sep 20 05:31:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Glen Kaukola wrote:

> Hi,
> We've purchased a few Opteron's to play with, and they're turning out to
> not be very stable.  The motherboard in the systems is the Tyan Thunder
> K8S S2280, and I'm running Red Hat 9 on two of them and Suse 8.2 x86_64
> beta on the other two.  Each machine has the latest version of the bios

We're running SuSE 8.2 beta on a cluster of dual Opterons. The
motherboards are Rioworks HDAMA.
We're not seeing the problems you describe - they generall seem stable.
Recently upgraded to the latest BIOS from the Rioworks site.

The main problem we are seeing is occasinally nodes halting with the
 hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
I'm sure this is not a ahrdware problem with the disks.
Have run kernels 2.4.22 and the SuSE patched 2.4.21. Anyone else seen