opteron problems

Brian D. Haymore brian at chpc.utah.edu
Fri Sep 19 16:43:07 EDT 2003

I have a couple dozen opterons in house on the arima board and have had no
such issues as you are reporting.  We did have a tyan in house for a
couple days but did not give it a thorough test to see what your are
seeing.  We have been running Suse 8.1 and 8.2 beta on them as well as the
beta of RedHat WS (Taroon) for x86-64 on those that we have.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Glen Kaukola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've purchased a few Opteron's to play with, and they're turning out to
> not be very stable.  The motherboard in the systems is the Tyan Thunder
> K8S S2280, and I'm running Red Hat 9 on two of them and Suse 8.2 x86_64
> beta on the other two.  Each machine has the latest version of the bios
> from Tyan's website.  I'm running the setiathome client, and a few of
> our own applications to stress test the systems.  All the machines seem
> to either lock up, crash with a kernel panic, or reboot out of the
> blue.  The lock ups, crashes, and reboots seem to happen at random about
> once a day, to once every 3 days.
>
> So, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues, and if you
> figured out any way to overcome them?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Glen

Brian D. Haymore