opteron problems

Glen Kaukola glen at cert.ucr.edu
Fri Sep 19 15:58:58 EDT 2003

Hi,

We've purchased a few Opteron's to play with, and they're turning out to
not be very stable.  The motherboard in the systems is the Tyan Thunder
K8S S2280, and I'm running Red Hat 9 on two of them and Suse 8.2 x86_64
beta on the other two.  Each machine has the latest version of the bios
from Tyan's website.  I'm running the setiathome client, and a few of
our own applications to stress test the systems.  All the machines seem
to either lock up, crash with a kernel panic, or reboot out of the
blue.  The lock ups, crashes, and reboots seem to happen at random about
once a day, to once every 3 days.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues, and if you
figured out any way to overcome them?

Thanks for your time,
Glen