Beowulfery under CYGWIN

Frank Joerdens frank at joerdens.de
Thu Sep 18 12:28:31 EDT 2003

I've got a wee little 10-node Athlon 1800+ cluster here in the office
which is sitting idle a lot of the time. It's designated purpose is
Cinema4D rendering, which only runs under Windoze, unfortunately (I
*really* tried to get it to work under WINE, it's no-go: some arcane bug
relating to wsock32, it seems, where I'm totally out of depth as to
fixing it, and the WINE people weren't interested enough in the
problem), so I can't run Linux on it (dual-boot I looked into also; it's
impractical in our scenario here).

Hence my thinking, seeing that I'd like to learn some Beowulfery, that
it might be possible to do it under CYGWIN.

Has anyone tried yet? Would it be worth having a go at it, or is it
clear from the start that you'd have to hack the sources quite
extensively?

Regards, Frank