Building a small machine room?

Wally Edmondson Wally-Edmondson at
Thu Sep 18 12:47:22 EDT 2003

An alternative to Halon is FM-200 gas.  It is safer for humans and won't
harm any equipment.  The worst that it can do is give you frostbite if you
are standing directly under one of the nozzles.  Of course, there are
flashing lights and beeping noises before it dumps, giving everyone a
chance to evacuate (or cancel the dump with a switch near the door).  It is
installed in my server room.  We have never had the misfortune to use it,
but it lets me sleep peacefully at night.  Here is a link comparing it to