Q: Building a small machine room? Materials/costs/etc.

John Brookes johnb at quadrics.com
Thu Sep 18 09:39:22 EDT 2003

Just a couple of quick points on raised versus, erm, not-raised floors.

A raised floor is far and away the better idea for a nice, stable system,
IMHO. It's easier to dress off your cables nicely and neatly if you've got a
nice bit of under-floor space to store any excess. If the machine room will
house only clusters that form single rows, then you'd be wasting cash
getting a raised floor, to an extent. If you're going to have multiple,
interconnected rows, though, then the cables'd have to go overhead without
that space. Overheads are at least as difficult to sort out as under-floor
(YMMV - I'm a bit of a shorta**e :) So you're left with one major
difference: PRICE. A raised floor to support that kind of weight is not
inexpensive, I would imagine.

Just my tuppence.

John Brookes
Quadrics

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu