Building a small machine room?

Steve Hindmarsh sth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 11:57:11 EDT 2003

Halon replacements are now available here in the UK at least - we have
recently replaced our server room halon system with FM200 which is
supposed to be as effective but safer for humans (and the environment).
I don't think you are allowed to install new Halon systems in the UK
now...

Steve

>>> Andrew Latham <lathama at lathama.com> 18/09/2003 14:03:10 >>>
Halon is used in situations where water is a threat.  If a sprinkle
head starts
dumping water on a system pluged into a UPS it will get ugly.

Halon is not banned from telcom rooms so just sell it to the fire
marshal as a
telcom room. I was under the impression that the room would have no
people
permanently stationed in it.

Halon does not kill people. It replaces Oxygen. It can injure or kill a
person
after large and lengthy exposure but not likely.

--- Daniel Kidger <Daniel.Kidger at quadrics.com> wrote:

> > second contact a Halon installation company
> >       (chemical fire stopper - sprinklers are bad)
>
> Unfortunately in many places, halon is now banned from new machine
room
> installations - upon the mistaken belief that human lives are worth
more
> than the computers.
>

> Daniel.

> Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
> One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505

=====
Andrew Latham

Penguin loving, moralist agnostic.

LathamA.com - (lay-th-ham-eh)