Q: Building a small machine room? Materials/costs/etc.

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 18 10:43:05 EDT 2003

On 18 Sep 2003, Dean Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 08:25, John Hearns wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > This is probably what extends our meltdown time out to minutes, and is
> > > also why we keep a jacket down there for general use -- in the
> > > summertime, shorts, sandles, and a hawaiian shirt outside don't
> > > translate well into cluster room garb;-)
> >
> > Now THERE'S a good idea. 'Cluster room couture' by Bob Brown.
> > What would it consist of then?
> > As you say a fleece for warmth. Lots of pockets for tools and screws.
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Then again, we would have to get systems engineers to model it on the
> > catwalk...
> >

> What next, a computer room edition of "Trading Spaces"?

Well, we have the makings of a great plot in the form of helping to
crack an encrypted file that could contain evidence of political crimes
that would make watergate pale in comparison.

I doubt that it needs a cluster -- anybody that would leave
incriminating information around (encrypted or not) in a publically
accessible place is bound to be stupid enough to choose a crypt key like
"elephant_man" or "republicans_rule".  Or the name of their collie.
crack is overkill.  Fifteen minutes of hunt and peck and they'll have
it.

The only question is -- comedy or tragedy?

I wanna be played by John Malkovich.

   rgb

> 	-Dean

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu