howto calculate pi to large (eg 10^6) places

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Sep 15 07:58:32 EDT 2003

Hi Joe:

  There are many methods available.  You can exploit various of the
expansions which yield pi or 1/pi.  You will need an extended precision
library, such as David Bailey's MP, or similar.

  As for algorithms, you have several choices.  The
Bailey-Borwein-Plouffe method will give you hexadecimal digits, though
it might not be as compute intensive as you wish.  See
http://www.cecm.sfu.ca/organics/papers/borwein/paper/html/paper.html for
some nice details on some of this.

  Note:  some of the good folks at Cray used to do this with their
machines.  One of the "burn-in" tests was generating a few
hundred-million digits.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D