Kill the power faster than poweroff?

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Fri Sep 12 17:50:35 EDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > I'm a big fan of network IPMI 1.5, which is usually implemented by a
> > Baseboard Management Controller (BMC).  The BMC is a microcontroller
> > running on stand-by power.  It can control power, redirect the "serial"
>
> IPMI and BMC are attractive, but as far as I can tell, completely
> non-viable for moderately-priced nodes.  I mean, if my 1-u dual costs
> $US 2k, adding a BMC probably means a 35-50% boost in price.

I wouldn't be a big fan if either
   it was too expensive to be common
   it was proprietary

I've seen quotes for around $30 extra when bundled with the system
board.  Of course finding a BMC daughterboard later is difficult
and likely expensive, so you have to specify it with the system.

> or are there cheap BMC options?  otherwise, it seems like a holdover
> from the world of "enterprise" gold-plated servers, where $1k on a
> $50K server is in the noise...

And you thought the option

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993