Kill the power faster than poweroff?

Daniel Kidger Daniel.Kidger at quadrics.com
Fri Sep 12 13:23:43 EDT 2003

> > I'm a big fan of network IPMI 1.5, which is usually implemented by a
> > Baseboard Management Controller (BMC).  The BMC is a microcontroller
> > running on stand-by power.  It can control power, redirect
> the "serial"
>
> IPMI and BMC are attractive, but as far as I can tell, completely
> non-viable for moderately-priced nodes.  I mean, if my 1-u dual costs
> $US 2k, adding a BMC probably means a 35-50% boost in price.
>
> or are there cheap BMC options?  otherwise, it seems like a holdover
> from the world of "enterprise" gold-plated servers, where $1k on a
> $50K server is in the noise...

I would suggest that the majority of new dual CPU rack mounted nodes have
BMCs on the MoBo.
Certainly all the 'big band-name' ones seem to.

Intel ones tend to have the BMC hijacking the main eth0. Others
(Serverworks, Khepri, AMD, ZX1 et al) tend to use a seperate ethernet socket
or hijack the serial port.

Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505