Kill the power faster than poweroff?

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 12 11:11:12 EDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 becker at scyld.com wrote:

> The biggest culprits are
>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt
> which do explicit sleeps and have very poor scaling.

Replace the explicit seconds/microseconds with variables and
conditionally set those variables to zero if "/fastshutdown"
exists?  Then a regular "poweroff" would execute without
all the sleeps. I wonder though if it would work, since
some of those sleeps are in there to let daemons shut
down nicely before going on to the next thing.  I'll
have to try this at some point nd see what happens.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu