Kill the power faster than poweroff?

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 12 05:13:16 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> But I >>think<< that unless you kill all processes that own open files
> on the filesystem (or otherwise force a close) umount will complain
> about open files and not proceed even with e.g. the -f flag.  If you do
> kill all processes to be sure you can run umount, then you're basically
> doing a full shutdown and back where you started.

If your processes only *read* data, you could also try

mount -o ro,/path

to remount the filesystem read-only before turning the power off. This
should write all pending blocks to disk and set the file system's
clean bit. I haven't tried it, so it might fail when there are still
processes with files open for writing on that file system.

- Felix

Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: +41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   +41 1 632 1307