Kill the power faster than poweroff?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Thu Sep 11 19:42:04 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:13:10PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> But I >>think<< that unless you kill all processes that own open files
> on the filesystem (or otherwise force a close) umount will complain
> about open files and not proceed even with e.g. the -f flag.  If you do
> kill all processes to be sure you can run umount, then you're basically
> doing a full shutdown and back where you started.

Yes, but.

Linux shutdown kills everyone nicely. Kill -9 is much faster, and
allows the umount.

The *BSDs use death and distruction on the way down, and last I looked
at it, took a couple of seconds to run their entire shutdown. No waiting
for all the apps to call free() on all their data structures... swap in
all their old, unused data pages...

-- greg