Beowulf And jvm

Joseph Landman landman at
Thu Sep 11 17:40:04 EDT 2003

Hi Puru:

  Java uses shared memory threads.  It is unlikely that the beowulf
architecture would be suitable for this.  However, if you spawn multiple
processes and create some sort of IPC mechanism (MPI is but one known
functional instance of this), you might be able to get some benefit out
of running on multiple CPUs across multiple nodes.  If your threads are
not latency sensitive, you could use a variety of IPC mechanisms.

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 12:47, purushotham komaravolu wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am a newbie to beowulf.
> I have a question about running Java on a Beowulf cluster.
> Is it possible that I can start only one JVM on one machine and the
> task
> be run distributed on the cluster? It is a multi-threaded application.
> Like say, I have an application with 100 threads.
> Can I have 50 threads run on one machine and 50 on another by
> launching
> the application(jvm) on one machine? I dont want to use MPI or any
> special code.
> Has anyone tried something like this before?
> Thanks
> Regards,
> Puru
Joseph Landman, Ph.D