Kill the power faster than poweroff?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at
Thu Sep 11 16:44:52 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 12:15:18PM -0500, alan at wrote:

>     I've read in other places that you need to repeat the sync command a
>     number of times (I seem to remember the article saying 3 times in
>     particular, though I can't remember how they arrived at that number)

This is old advice, and it doesn't really apply to modern Linux or
Unix. In Linux, the sync syscall and utility returns immediately after
scheduling all the writes, instead of after completing them. In the
good old days, there was probably a worry that if it took a while to
write all the dirty blocks, there would be new dirty blocks, so 3
syncs in a row would pretty much have everything clean.

-- greg