Kill the power faster than poweroff?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 11 15:53:10 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, David Mathog wrote:

> You're right, that brings it down quickly, which is what
> is needed here.  However it doesn't do so cleanly, neither
> does:
>
>   % sync ; poweroff -f
>
> In both cases there were inodes to fix and the disks were
> rescanned on the next boot.  Which is fine - much easier
> to handle that sort of problem than fried hardware.

Inodes to fix on ext3?  After a sync?  Inquiring minds like to know...

I'd expect a forced poweroff to be no worse than (and very similar to)
just punching the power switch -- the sync should get the fs consistent
EXCEPT for race condition output on open files belonging to active
processes.  Other ways of halting try to kill all those processes
politely, in principle causing them to close all files that belong to
them before the final sync.

I'd also expect to not infrequently end up with a bunch of those little
.nfs20800200 leftovers if the systems in question have active nfs
mounts.

   rgb

> Thanks,
>
> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu