Kill the power faster than poweroff?

alan at dasher.wustl.edu alan at dasher.wustl.edu
Thu Sep 11 13:15:18 EDT 2003

:>However it doesn't do so cleanly, neither
:>does:
:>
:>  % sync ; poweroff -f
:>
:>In both cases there were inodes to fix and the disks were
:>rescanned on the next boot.  Which is fine - much easier
:>to handle that sort of problem than fried hardware.

    I've read in other places that you need to repeat the sync command a
    number of times (I seem to remember the article saying 3 times in
    particular, though I can't remember how they arrived at that number) in
    order to guarantee writing.  Even then it seems like there ought to be
    race-condition like issues.
    Still, have you tried
    sync; sleep 1; sync; poweroff -f

Alan Grossfield
| Only when we are willing to accept the universe for what it is, without |
| myth or fear or prejudice, can we hope to build a truly just society.   |
|                        Lawrence Krauss, New York Times, 4/22/03         |