Kill the power faster than poweroff?

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 11 10:53:58 EDT 2003

Is there a faster way to shutdown a system and kill
the power than "poweroff"?  This is for use in
emergency overheating conditions, where something
that's effectively the equivalent of:

  % sync
  [turn off the power supply]

is desired.

lm_sensors and mondo are running on our Athlon 2200MP
cluster and I'm concerned that in the event of a
catastrophic failure of the cooling system the CPUs
might overheat before the poweroff sequence completes.
Not necessarily flame out immediately, but at least
get hot enough so that they no longer run correctly,
then poweroff wouldn't be able to complete, and then
it's roasted CPU time.

Tyan 2466 motherboards.

This is only for emergency overheating, poweroff is
fine for a normal shutdown.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu