Tyan 2880 memory configuration

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 11 08:59:33 EDT 2003

> inserting memory but does not give advice.  In particular,
> one reads, "memory in CPU2 DIMM1-2 is not required when running
> dual CPU configuration" but the diagram on page 9 indicates that
> access to memory would be divided between two CPUs if the DIMM
> sockets CPU1 and CPU2 are both used.  The table on page 29 shows
> putting 4 memory modules in the area CPU1 as a possibility without
> saying whether (as I would imagine) it is better to follow the
> other option of putting two in CPU1 and two in CPU2.

my first opteron system arrived with 4 dimms in the first CPU's
bank of memory, and bank interleaving turned off in bios.
turning on bank interleaving gave me around 15% speedup on stream.
moving two dimms to the other CPU gave me about 25% speedup.

ideally, of course, both CPUs would have two full banks (4 dimms apiece),
with both node and bank interleaving turned on in bios.