CPUs for a Beowulf

Josip Loncaric josip at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 10 20:42:20 EDT 2003

Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:07:57AM -0600, Josip Loncaric wrote:
>
>>Anyone getting started on clusters has to negotiate a learning curve,
>>regardless of whether they build it themselves or buy a turn-key system.
>
> My point was that some admins with zero "beowulf" cluster experience
> have plenty of large system Unix experience.

Good point.  It sure helps to start high on the learning curve...

I'd only like to add that administrative costs for a functional cluster
are *way* lower than for the same number of office PCs.  There are many
reasons for this so I do not want to enumerate them here.

You probably have a better feel for this, but my guess is that a capable
Linux cluster administrator can manage several hundred nodes.  In other
words, although support costs for an N-processor cluster scale with N,
the scaling constant is fairly reasonable.

Sincerely,
Josip