cluster using handhelds

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 10 18:22:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Jim Lux wrote:

> At 02:22 PM 9/10/2003 -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> >I could trivially do it with both my zauruses right now... the real
> >question is why...
>
> Which model of Zaurus, and what sort of wireless network interface (CF or
> PCMCIA)?

5500sl it/they have cf wireless cards... you can pretty much get the whole
arm build enivironment and toolchain on a large mmc card in the sd card
slot. you can run open zaurus or the debian arm distro on them in a pretty
simple fashion... They also have serial port pinout on the jack on the
bottom which you can get a cable for so serial consoles are feasable. also
they have keyboards so failing around on a text consoles is feasable.

> I'm looking at a distributed measurement application where each processor
> needs to be able to talk to some local hardware and to share measurements
> with other processors. I also need to distribute some computing across the
> processors.  I'd rather not have to rewrite all the computing as platforms
> change, so a standardized interface like MPI is attractive.
>
> Obviously, an alternative is a battery powered single board PC with a
> suitable display and user interface, but, in the case of the handhelds,
> someone else has already dealt with the hardware integration issues, and
> the purchase price is generally lower than one would spend on all the
> pieces.  I don't want to be in the PC design business, if I can avoid it.

basically the things that make me say why.... are the mips/watt equation
on a pda is skewed by things like the active matrix display which is still
power hungry even if the backlight is off. internal batteries,
particularly with a wireless card inserted don't last useful lengths of
time. in the zaurus's case about and hour and 45 minutes with the card in
or maybe 6 without the card and the backlight turned all the way down.
then we have the under-powered cpu's which for the 200mhz make it
sufficent to compare to a cca 1993 pc which isn't bad but it's not huge
either...

We do a substantial amount of work around some embeded pc boards made by a
company called soekris engineering http://www.soekris.com/ that come with
nice cases that might be appropiate for you application... in particular
it makes porting stuff a non-issue since i586 or 486 code will run happily
on them. I actually run a somewhat condensed version of redhat 8.0 on a
couple of their boxes. a number of people use them as wireless
accesspoints amount other things so they may be useful for you
application. they also have useful features that's pda's don't like gpio
pins. some of the models (4521) have very wide dc voltage operating ranges
(11-56 volts) to accomidate things like power over ethernet.

http://www.soekris.com/net4521.htm

> I note that the various variants of Linux at handhelds.org (formerly, and
> possibly still, supported by Compaq) don't support the current versions of
> iPaqs being sold by HP. This, in itself, is kind of a worrying trend,
> because I've already got enough orphan hardware and software sitting
> around.

the life-cyle in the pda market, especially the wince pda market is very
very short.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu