CPUs for a Beowulf

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Wed Sep 10 16:58:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:07:57AM -0600, Josip Loncaric wrote:

> >>My first non-small HPC cluster was 64 nodes, and it took 28 hours of
> >>labor to set up, of which only 8 hours was my time
> >
> >And the first small one?
>
> Anyone getting started on clusters has to negotiate a learning curve,
> regardless of whether they build it themselves or buy a turn-key system.

Josip,

My point was that some admins with zero "beowulf" cluster experience
have plenty of large system Unix experience. LANL used to have several
such admins, and they built some large clusters for their first
attempt, and it went very well. They even used cfengine, which is a
tool commonly used in the large Unix system arena. Several of them
probably still work for LANL; the one I know best, Susan Coghlan, is
now at Argonne.

-- greg