AMD Opteron memory bandwidth (was Re: CPUs for a Beowulf)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 10 12:15:25 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> > Remeber the goal of a single commodity motherboard supporting either an
> > AMD x86 chip or an Alpha?  Look where we are today...
>
> It was a great idea until the mechnical problems nuked it: Slot A
> vs. Socket A. I was not impressed by the reliability of Slot A.
> Sometimes it's the little things that cause the biggest problems.

the processor cards for our alpha server 7000's (21164 433mhz) were
something like 12"x16" the l2 cache alone is like 20 square inches. I
still have one of them hanging on my wall. the larger alpha building
blocks had and really continue to suffer from a serious form factor
problem. The gs80 is basically stil about 3/4 of a rack for an 8cpu box.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu