CPUs for a Beowulf

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Tue Sep 9 13:41:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:31:38AM +0200, hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz wrote:
> > Administrative costs can easily be THE dominant cost
>
> Yes, yes, yes. Anybody has different experience for his/her FIRST
> cluster? (If somebody does, he is genius and his labor has much higher
> value then estimated and I am right anyway :-)

Clusters built by people who already have experience administering
large numbers of machines tend to be pretty cost-efficient on the
admin side. There isn't much crossover between the "Beowful" community
and the LISA community, but there should be.

My first non-small HPC cluster was 64 nodes, and it took 28 hours of
labor to set up, of which only 8 hours was my time, and 20 hours was
less experienced people wielding screwdrivers. Let's see, if you think
$100 per node is a reasonable setup fee, and the 20 hours cost $10 each,
then I was worth $775/hour. :-) (No, I'm not serious.)

-- greg