AMD Opteron memory bandwidth (was Re: CPUs for a Beowulf)

Richard Walsh rbw at
Tue Sep 9 10:48:18 EDT 2003

On Tue Sep  9 2003, John Hearns wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Jim Phillips wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Donald Becker wrote:
>> If you could connect those HyperTransport channels into a scalable mesh
>> then this sounds a lot like the good old Cray T3E design.  Drool...  It's
>> too bad that Red Storm won't be taking that route.  The T3E was so nice.
>The article I quoted from Digit Life floats the idea that AMD may be able
>to make for Cray an Opteron with 4 Hypertransports, making a 3D mesh
>possible. Is this just supposition?

Mmm ... with just 3 HT links per chip (one of which is attenutated .. IO)
I don't see how you can do a full 2D torus let alone a 3D which requires
6 per node.  Perhaps mesh here does not refer to the T3E's torus interconnect?
The 8-way SMP Opteron layouts that I have seen have edges.  Not withstanding
this, Cray is custom engineering an MPP system with the Opteron as the base
microprocessor and a proprietary interconnect for Sandia(?).  Anyone have
more detail on this machine?

# Richard Walsh
# Project Manager, Cluster Computing, Computational
#                  Chemistry and Finance
# netASPx, Inc.
# 1200 Washington Ave. So.
# Minneapolis, MN 55415
# VOX:    612-337-3467
# FAX:    612-337-3400
# EMAIL:  rbw at, richard.walsh at
#         rbw at
# "Why waste time learning when ignornace is
#  instantaneous?"                 -Thomas Hobbes
# "Life is lived between two opposing poles, the one
#  defines that which must be true (truism) and the
#  other that which is true (truth).  -Max Headroom