AMD Opteron memory bandwidth (was Re: CPUs for a Beowulf)

John Hearns john.hearns at
Tue Sep 9 02:37:35 EDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 04:18 am, John Hearns wrote:
> > Seriously though, you might find that 64bit AMDs aren't that expensive.
> My understanding is that memory bandwidth with Opterons scales with the number
> of CPUs due to the HyperTransport architecture, which could be a big plus to
> some people.
Not really an answer to your question, but I found this article on the
Hammer architecture (from DEcember last year).

I think it is good - has discussionof of memory timings, caches,
HyperTransport etc. Worth a read.