AMD Opteron memory bandwidth (was Re: CPUs for a Beowulf)

Bill Broadley bill at
Mon Sep 8 21:31:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:09:46AM +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 04:18 am, John Hearns wrote:
> > Seriously though, you might find that 64bit AMDs aren't that expensive.
> My understanding is that memory bandwidth with Opterons scales with the number
> of CPUs due to the HyperTransport architecture, which could be a big plus to
> some people.

This is true.

> I'd be interested to hear whether that turns out to be correct or not in
> practice!

I suspect if I used the latest kernel tweaks to pin processes to a specific
cpu and allocate only local memory the scaling would be even better.

Oh, to compare to a P4 (or dual athlon):

Bill Broadley
UC Davis