SCSI Card

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 8 17:51:17 EDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, [iso-8859-1] José M. Pérez Sánchez wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone tested the UW-320 SCSI card Adaptec 29320-R? The strongest
> > candidate to be purchased as cluster master node for our cluster comes with
> > that card and 10000 RPM Fujitsu hard disks.

the 29320-r comes with a driver for windows that provides what they call
hostraid support. something like an adaptec 2120 or 2200s is really a
hardware raid controller with a full feature-set (uses aacraid rather
than aic7xxx).

linux will support this card but not it's partial raid functionality.
linux software raid will happily work on top of all of this and probably
run faster on a raid5 stripe than the 2120 to boot. the 29320-r doens't
support raid-5 at all reagrdless of os.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu