CPUs for a Beowulf

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Sep 8 14:18:17 EDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Robert Kane wrote:

> 2. CPU Type
> 64-bit chips. In general is the increased performance worth the money
> invested, or would a larger number of slower chips be effective
> cost/performance wise?
Hmmmmm. Say, didn't a bunch of folks at a NASA lab do that a few years
Big :-) as I am slightly pulling your leg, but hopefully in a nice wayB.
That is the beauty of the Beowulf idea - use cheap as chips stuff. Your
point is well made.
Seriously though, you might find that 64bit AMDs aren't that expensive.
I think as somone pointed out recently that requiring large amounts
of RAM starts to dominate the costs these days. Very much IMHO.