Processor technology choice

Rocky McGaugh rocky at atipa.com
Sat Sep 6 12:23:25 EDT 2003

Opteron prices are on par with the Xeon's.

I see no reason for anyone, anywhere to ever buy Athlon MP's ever
again. The processor core is almost identical to the Opterons except
that the Opterons have the 64-bit extensions. The opterons get a great
benefit from the Hypertransport bus. They have great memory bandwidth
and interprocess latency.

Debain for amd64 is still under development. I occasionaly talk with
the guys who are doing the port, and I dont think it is quite ready
for prime-time yet. If you really know what you are doing, you can
probably make it work, but it is not going to be trivial.

Debian would be great on Xeon/Athlon/Itainium2 though.

the Opteron's will give you a bit less potential raw FLOPS, but you will
most likely achieve a greater effiency from those processors (versus Xeon)
due to the faster memory bus.

The best way is to test your code on each

--
Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at atipatechnologies.com
rmcgaugh at atipa.com
1-785-841-9513 x3110
http://67.8450073/
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7\!A+F-O;0H`");'