Guidance/suggestions for small (6-12 port) gigabit switches and gigabit NICs?

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Sat Sep 6 08:07:12 EDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Michael T. Prinkey wrote:

> > (note: read the paper
> > http://www.cs.uni.edu/~gray/gig-over-copper/hsln-lcn.ps)
> >
> > I purchased two Netgear 302T nics for about $30 each. They are 32 bit
> > cards that will run at 66 Mhz, have a Broadcom chipset, and use
> > the tg3 driver. Here as some _preliminary_ results using netpipe(tcp)
> >
> > PCI Speed         Latency       Max Throughput
> >  33                 28             700 Mbits/sec (87.5 Mbytes/sec)
> >  66                 30             840 Mbits/sec (105 Mbytes/sec)
> >
> > The tests were done in dual PIII-1.266 Serverworks LE (Supermicro P3TDLE)
> > using the kernel 2.40.20, 1500 byte MTU (they support Jumbos, however)
> > While not as sexy as a PCI-X 64 bit card, at $30 a card, the performance
> > is pretty good.
> >
> > Doug
> >

> I will second this.  I have been using Netgear 302Ts since late last year.
> I have been using them on dual Xeon boards with on-board Intel Gbit NICs.
> I run the on-board to a switch and use a pair of Netgears to build nearest
> neighbor links.  It makes for a very cost effective way to speed up CFD
> runs that use 1D decompositions.  The latency and bandwith of these cards
> are very impressive considering their low cost and 32-bittedness.
>
> Here is a tar file with full netpipe results for the onboard Intel thru a
> switch and two Netgear 302Ts back to back:
>
> http://aeolusres.homestead.com/files/np_bench.tar.gz

Mike, a few questions, if you do not mind kernel and driver versions,
model of switch, motherboard?

Have you run the 302t's thought the switch or the intel's
as xover? Just curious.

Sounds like you are have built this machine to solve a
specific type of problem. How is it working?

Doug

> Mike Prinkey
> Aeolus Research, Inc.

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.814.2800
130 Webster Street        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.814.5844
Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com