Greg Lindahl lindahl at
Fri Sep 5 14:43:46 EDT 2003

> I basically think ext3 and ext2 are a joke and we use XFS on the nodes with no
> performance problem. Excellent reliability!

Filesystem religion is fun, but keep in mind that ext2/3, XFS and
Reiserfs are used in production by some pretty big communities --
Redhat, SGI, and Suse are not in the business of shipping software
that fails for the common case.

ext2 is somewhat annoying in that a big cluster of machines with local
disks that has a power failure is likely to have at least one node
that asks for a manual fsck. but reports of actal data loss are few
and far between.