Guidance/suggestions for small (6-12 port) gigabit switches and gigabit NICs?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Sep 5 12:26:35 EDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2003, Craig Tierney wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried it yet, but the 12 and 24 port gigE switches from
> > Dell look attractive.  The switches provide full bandwidth and have
> > several other good features.
>
> Except the management interface which I find horrible. Well, comparing it
> with the 3Com SuperStack and BayNetworks switches that I have...

The dells have a kind of brain-dead cisco-style cli. if you've used
cat-ios you'll mostly be slightly annoyed by the things it doesn't do,
if you're not a cat-ios user it'll probably just anoy the heck out of
you... The switches themselves are made by accton for what it's worth.

> Have you tested the bandwidth or is there some published test about this ?
> I don't have enough GigE nodes to fill one... The documentation implies
> that there are 2 chips inside each responsible for 12 ports. I wasn't
> worried about on-chip communication, but inter-chip one.

the 24 port models are two broadcom 5690's connected back to back using
the 10Gb/s xaui port on each core.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu