Guidance/suggestions for small (6-12 port) gigabit switches and gigabit NICs?

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Sep 5 06:26:19 EDT 2003

On 4 Sep 2003, Craig Tierney wrote:

> I haven't tried it yet, but the 12 and 24 port gigE switches from
> Dell look attractive.  The switches provide full bandwidth and have
> several other good features.

Except the management interface which I find horrible. Well, comparing it
with the 3Com SuperStack and BayNetworks switches that I have...

Have you tested the bandwidth or is there some published test about this ?
I don't have enough GigE nodes to fill one... The documentation implies
that there are 2 chips inside each responsible for 12 ports. I wasn't
worried about on-chip communication, but inter-chip one.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868