Guidance/suggestions for small (6-12 port) gigabit switches and gigabit NICs?

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Thu Sep 4 20:43:54 EDT 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

>  SMC recently announced a low-cost 8 port GigE switch that can handle
> jumbo frames.
>
> http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=About-SMC&pg=Press-Release-Details&pr_id=129&site=c

That's very aggressive pricing for a switch with jumbo frame support.

The previous lowest-cost GbE switches have a street price of $160 for 8
ports, but the per-port price goes up dramatically for larger switches.

> They also announced GigE NICs for $30. I don't know about Linux
> support. If not, here's a website that some some decent information
> about copper GigE:

My guess is that they are using Realtek rtl8169 chips.  The rtl8169 is
not as sophisticated as the e1000, but is still a reasonable performer.
It's a much better design than the justly-maligned rtl8139.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993