Guidance/suggestions for small (6-12 port) gigabit switches and gigabit NICs?

Craig Tierney ctierney at
Thu Sep 4 17:57:37 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:17, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> I'm in the process of putting together another small compute cluster,
> and while I've solved the node configuration issues, I've been unable
> to come to any definitive solutions for networking.  Because of the
> problems I work on (trivial or coarse parallelization, and at the
> most, moderate between-node communication), I've focused on
> copper-based gigabit.
> Now the hard part -- can anyone suggest NICs (Intel's e1000 is
> currently leading my list) and switches to uses?  (Netgear
> GS508T/GS108, HP ProCurve 2708, etc...?).  Throughput is of interest,
> though I've got to balance it with price...

I haven't tried it yet, but the 12 and 24 port gigE switches from
Dell look attractive.  The switches provide full bandwidth and have
several other good features.  They are under $100 per port ($1199 and
$2199 respectively).

> Or even better, point to comparison WWW sites?  (I've been looking on
> Google and Tom's, but havn't really found the right query incantation
> yet, sigh...).
> best,
> -tony
Craig Tierney <ctierney at>