Guidance/suggestions for small (6-12 port) gigabit switches and gigabit NICs?

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Sep 4 17:17:18 EDT 2003

I'm in the process of putting together another small compute cluster,
and while I've solved the node configuration issues, I've been unable
to come to any definitive solutions for networking.  Because of the
problems I work on (trivial or coarse parallelization, and at the
most, moderate between-node communication), I've focused on
copper-based gigabit.

Now the hard part -- can anyone suggest NICs (Intel's e1000 is
currently leading my list) and switches to uses?  (Netgear
GS508T/GS108, HP ProCurve 2708, etc...?).  Throughput is of interest,
though I've got to balance it with price...

Or even better, point to comparison WWW sites?  (I've been looking on
Google and Tom's, but havn't really found the right query incantation
yet, sigh...).

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.