Intel acquiring Pallas

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Thu Sep 4 03:57:50 EDT 2003

Vann H. Walke:
> Pallas's main HPC product is Vampir/Vampirtrace.  These are performance
> analysis tools.  As such they would only be peripherally useful for
> compiler design (perhaps to measure the effects of certain changes).
> Even for this purpose, Vampir/Vampirtrace doesn't provide the amount of
> detail that Intel's own V-Tune product does.

I agree with Vann. I assume they just want to extend V-Tune upwards, and get a
fully integrated product. And maybe some additional knowledge on MPI (Pallas
implemented/maintains the MPI for Fujitsu machines and maybe others). I
wonder if Pallas will continue to sell PGI compilers (which are optimized for
AMD/Opteron...).

BTW, Intel also owns 25% of Scali. And Etnus, which produce TotalView, which
Pallas sells, belongs to Dolphin, which in turn make a lot of business with
Scali. Whatever that means... but it's a small world.

 Joachim

--
Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de