Oh great pool of hardware and driver knowledge....

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Sep 2 22:57:47 EDT 2003

OK, so this is off-topic again, but this group is likely the most
knowledgable source of info likely to have a handle on something like this.

I've got a pair of servers directly off a router/switch.  There is one
problemmatic server/port interface, as shown in the MRTG page at
http://page4.tamu.edu/mrtg/atmres/165.91.1.44_40.html

If you notice, connectivity appears to drop every 30 min.  although
subjectively it appears to happen more often (say, every 3 min or so...)
for periods of 30-45 sec.

Hardware here is a Dell PwerEdge 650 with the onboard Intel Pro/E1000
adapter and a 2nd Intel E1000 dual port copper adapter.

Software is RH9 with all current patches, Apache and the Minnesota
Mapserver, plus PostGres/PostGIS running.

NFS services to the box die periodically and users are sayingthe web
response stinks.

I've taken a couple of decent shots at the problem.  I'm hoping someone
here might have a potential solution I can check out!

Thanks!
gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173